Life As An Art Form

Quips & Commentaries in Prose and Poetry

6 thoughts on “Why We Need Diverse Books

1. Leslie says:

A powerful post! Thank you for taking your time to compose your thoughts and ideas about the value of diverse books—your care really shows.

Liked by 1 person

1. SomerEmpress says:

Thank YOU for taking the time to read, Leslie!

2. Emmy says:

Beautifully done and congratulations!! I can’t wait to buy your book SE!

I’m a big fiction fan yet I’d never quite seen it from this perspective. I immediately thought of when I buy a book and become so attached to a specific character. Then how deeply disappointed I am when I see signs that, they aren’t like me after all (they’re conservative, don’t exactly share my values, and so on). I agree, it opens our minds and forces us to relate to someone different than ourselves.

For diversity in nonfiction, the book Colors of Nature comes to mind. It’s more compelling, IMO than the linear “pollution” narrative when it comes to social justice and the environment.

Liked by 1 person

1. SomerEmpress says:

Hey Emmy! I’ve missed you. You’ve hit the nail on the head – perspective! I will check out Colors of Nature. I’m always looking to learn something new.

1. Emmy says:

This is the link for the book BTW, it’s sort of an obscure title.

I’ve missed you as well! My work season either ends October 14, or Sept 9. I’m hoping for the latter honestly.

Liked by 1 person

2. SomerEmpress says:

I am hoping right along with you, lady. Thanks for the link. Will check it out and add it to my good reads.